Are you considering using tampons for the first time? If so, there is a lot you should know about this easy-to-use period protection. And you might just besurprised! Here are seven tampon facts you may not know.
1. Tampons are Easy to InsertIt may take a few tries, but once you find your vaginal opening and position the tampon at the right angle, it glides in easily and painlessly. Each box oftampons comes with directions, and some include pictures. Also consider using a plastic applicator for a more comfortable insertion. For your first fewtries, it may help to use a mirror so you can see what's going on down there.
2. Tampons Help You Feel Clean and Fresh for up to 8 HoursBecause menstrual blood is absorbed before it hits the air and causes any odor, there's no unpleasant smell or feeling while wearing a tampon. For an extrafresh feeling, try scented tampons. Just be sure you don’t wear your tampon for longer than eight hours. (That's as long as a day at school or a day at thebeach.)
3. Tampons Won’t Disrupt Your ActivitiesA tampon is the protection of choice when you're exercising or doing other physical activities. You can feel confident a tampon will stay in place whileyou're on the move. Unlike with a pad, you can even wear it while you swim, and when you're done exercising, you don't have to take it out to shower.
4. Tampons Handle all Flows and Protect Against LeaksTampons are available in a range of absorbencies for all types of flow levels. After using tampons for one or two periods, you will learn how often youneed to change your tampon to prevent leaks. It’s best to change your tampon every four to eight hours, as needed. If it gets saturated in less than fourhours, try a heavier absorbency tampon. If after eight hours your tampon still isn't saturated and isn't easy to remove, try a lighter absorbency nexttime. If you're wearing the right size tampon for your flow, and pay attention to your body and its needs, you can have great protection every time.
5. Tampons Stay in Place When You go to the BathroomBecause a tampon goes into your vagina to absorb menstrual fluid, you won’t have any trouble using the restroom. Tampons don’t interfere with your otherbodily functions. You can use the bathroom freely without having to change your tampon every time. Just move the string to the side to keep it clean, andyou're good to go.
6. Tampons Allow You to Wear What You WantYou don't have to change your look just because you are on your period. With tampons, you have nothing to hide — except for a small string. You just haveto make sure it is tucked away where no one can see. So wear your favorite jeans or that fabulous skirt. You can also wear a tampon with a ballet leotard,swimsuit, yoga pants — you name it, and a tampon can handle it.
7. Tampons Help You Forget About Your PeriodWhen you're not worried about something showing through your pants or slipping out of place — and you don't feel something between your legs as a constantreminder you have your period — you're free to forget about your period and get back to what you love.
As you can see, tampons are a great option for dependable and discreet period protection. Do you have any more questions about using tampons? Click here to ask an expert!